Coast Guardians is our flagship highschool Environmental Education Program, tailored towards middle school students but accessible by other year levels with an interest in coastal protection.
Schools can participate in this ongoing program throughout the school year, focusing on one site or area to help foster ownership and enhance their understanding of the Great Ocean Road region.
Schools that have previously participated in the program, along with the coastal sites they have helped rehabilitate, include:
- Geelong Lutheran College - Whites Gap and Fishermans Beach, Torquay
- Surf Coast Secondary College - Spring Creek, Torquay, Jan Juc
- Sacred Heart College, Pt Impossible
- Lorne P-12 College - Erskine River Top Bank, North Lorne Beach and Lorne Point, Lorne
- Northern Bay P-12 College - Point Impossible and Whites Beach, Torquay
This program aims to increase environmental awareness and examine coastal issues, while promoting and encouraging social responsibility and environmental stewardship.
Our team leads the exploration of major coastal issues and opportunities in greater depth, including:
- Ecosystems and coastal processes on the coast
- Plant identification
- Indigenous and cultural heritage of sites, plants and animals
- Natural threats to the environment
- Climate variations
- Human impacts on the coastal environment
- Threatened flora and fauna species and the importance of biodiversity
- Coastal management issues and solutions
- Local land manager roles.
- Curriculum linked content relating (but not restricted to) Science, Geography, History, Maths and English.
- Variety of in-field locations available
- Hands-on conservation work opportunities
- Local real-world case studies & problem solving
Planning your visit
To make our Environmental Education Programs accessible to groups, we provide all the relevant tools, equipment and personal protective gear, including hi-vis vests and gloves.
Schools are required to provide their own transport to and from the site as well as any food/water required during their session.
If you would like to register or would like to talk to a team member for more information email questions directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.